Search This Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013

Small Thing BIG Annoyance

We all have our pet peeves and could probably list a hundred things that annoy us working in the school setting .  But, there is one little thing that will bring out the wrath of a normally sweet fun SLP before the student can get into the room!  (Not going to tell you what that is just yet, keep reading)

Today I bring you good news of great joy because an SLP by the name of  Haley Villines has effectively eliminated this problem.  Not only has she rid her room of this annoyance but she is sharing this with anyone who wants it for FREE!  Haley writes a blog called, "Say What Y'all?" which I love!  Not only because she shares good stuff  but also because she writes as informal as I do. Yay!  Another down to earth sister of the Speech Faith!  When I emailed her to ask permission to share this with you guys she said, "Absolutely!  It's free for the taking.  If it saves one SLP from the dreaded question, it's worth it!  :)"  Don't you wish you worked with her everyday!

She wrote a blog post last March 25th (2012) on routines Now before you stop reading because you are associating routines with Autism let me say No, No, No, not routines for them, but routines for us in our regular speech day.  I urge you to take the time to read this post and follow her!

Rather than telling you I'm going to let the picture say 1000 words!


If there is anything that can annoy us it's this!  Right?  It always infuriates me!  We have enough of a battle convincing teachers that what we do is valuable and worth the child's time to be out of the classroom, but couple that "What are going to play today?" and I'm seething!  While I do play games in speech therapy, the game isn't the focus of my session.  It is simply to keep the kids from being bored and not wanting to come to class.  They do enough boring worksheets in the classroom and I think learning should be FUN!  The key word in that statement is LEARNING.  I'm teaching them something and they are learning even while playing a game.  But I'm preaching to the choir here aren't I?

If you would like to have this poster to hang in your therapy room go here.  You will see a box on the right side of the page labeled Downloads.  Click on the routines file and there you will find the two posters she made.  The above pictured one is called "The 2 things...."  You will see the other poster that fits most of our speech class routines and it is also available for free.

Are you as excited about this as me? I think we owe Haley a big thank you for making our day just a little bit easier, so all together now, "Thank you , Haley!"



3 comments:

  1. This is great! Thank you Haley! I need to hang this up next to my game shelf in my room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew what those two things were before I even scrolled down to read because that is the # 1 thing that bothers me too! One year I even covered my game shelf with paper so my students couldn't see the games.

    ReplyDelete